Not too tart but not too sweet, this beautiful pie is the herald of summertime! Serve with vanilla ice cream to balance the tartness of the rhubarb. You can use your favorite pie crust in this recipe.
1 recipe pie dough, enough for two crusts
1 1/2 lbs trimmed rhubarb
1 cup sugar, plus amount below
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups raspberries
1 large egg
1 tablespoon milk
1. Make pie crust for two-crust pie according to your favorite recipe.
2. Refrigerate pie dough until ready to use.
3. For Filling: Cut enough rhubarb crosswise into 1/2-inch slices to measure 4 cups (reserve one cup).
4. In a 3-quart kettle stir together 3 cups rhubarb, 1 cup sugar, and cinnamon and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted, about 6 minutes.
5. In a small bowl stir together cornstarch and lemon juice.
6. Add cornstarch mixture to rhubarb mixture and boil, stirring constantly, until rhubarb is thickened, about 5 minutes, and transfer mixture to a bowl.
7. Cool mixture to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
8. Fold raspberries and remaining cup rhubarb into mixture until just combined.
9. Chill rhubarb filling, covered, at least 30 minutes, or until cold.
10. Preheat oven to 425°F.
11. In a small bowl whisk together egg and milk to make an egg wash.
12. Fit 11-inch round of dough into a 9-inch (1-quart) glass pie plate and trim, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang.
13. Spoon rhubarb filling into shell, smoothing top, and brush edge of crust with egg wash.
14. Drape remaining pastry round over filling and trim, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang.
15. Crimp edge decoratively.
16. With a sharp small knife score a decorative pattern on crust and brush crust evenly with some egg wash.
17. Sprinkle crust with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
18. Bake pie on a baking sheet in middle of oven 45-50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and cooked through.
19. (If pastry gets too brown too quickly, tent pie with foil.) Transfer pie to a rack.
20. Cool pie at least 1 hour to set filling.
21. Serve pie with vanilla ice cream.
Source of recipe: Tracy K